Challenges that prompted UCA to Run on SAP:
- Paper based systems on all the backup functions
- Manual, Paper & Excel process, decentralized workflow – can be very time consuming and inefficient
- No real visibility into budgets – unable to see in real-time with the risk of going over budget
- Lack of communication and category management through teams, not much order
- Minimal information security, as the information is based on MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint files and printouts
Goals & Objectives of the Project:
- Single Point of entry for all enterprise data
- Real-time Reporting and Insights
- All processes are Digitized, Integrated and Paperless
- Electronic and Mobile-enabled Approvals and Workflows
- Integrated dashboard view with the ability to drill down to the
The methodology chosen for implementation was SAP Activate. Weekly core committee and bi-weekly steering committee meetings were primary contact points for discussion of any problems or deviations from the project plan.
The SAP Rollout was named KURAK by the team at UCA. KURAK means joining pieces together in the Kyrgyz Language. TMC completed the implementation of the 5 main modules and went live in production in January 2020.
The KURAK system has been a critical enabler for UCA as UCA transitioned to Work@Home, following Government imposed lockdown due to Covid-19. All the back-office operations, as well as all the paper-based (manual) processes are now digitized and can be executed from anywhere and anytime, as opposed to the manual processes done prior to the implementation of SAP. For example, an employee sitting in Bishkek working from home was able to create an invoice for payments in Khorog.
Kurak (SAP Rollout)
- Finance Management
- Grants Management
- Materials Management
- Contract Management
- Human Capital Management
- Mobility and Accessibility: Starting from purchase requests to payment orders, all the processes are online and paperless, irrespective of geographic boundaries.
- Standardization: UCA wide backend processes are standardized in all operational areas, across all UCA office locations. UCA is able to do all steps through SAP with a predefined workflow with a real-time visibility in the system.
- Environment Protection: Eliminated paperwork to support financial activities and to track project expenditures and status with drill-down capabilities.
- Visibility: Departments will now able to see real-time information, which will enhance decision making. All processes are digitized, integrated and paperless.
- Scalability: Ability to increase user count without investing in increased hardware requirements. Eliminated risks such as hardware obsolescence, platform changes, upgrade pre-requisites, etc.
- Cyber Security: Enhanced the overall security and data protection capability. Organizational data is safely stored in highly secure and certified data centres. Any employee can work from any computer, anywhere in the world.
- Data Validity: Single point of entry for all enterprise data. Eliminated the need for redundant data entry. All UCA wide information is now in a centralized system & repository (KURAK). Preventing loss of data and maintains the integrity of the stored data.
- Efficiency: Significantly reduced time for creation and circulation of basic reports as this is now available to the departments online on their computers.
- Clear Audit Trail: Better governance and controls by maintaining an audit trail of every transaction.
- Digital Resilience: Minimize IT risk to UCA operations.
- Business Continuity: KURAK implementation also includes disaster recovery for the critical data.
- Flexibility: Easy to add users and application modules.
- Integration: Enabled end to end integration of all major critical operational functions of UCA.